Over the years, the default marker, represented by the red pin has become an iconic part of the Google Maps experience, and as the pin has evolved, we’ve brought those same changes to Google Maps Platform.
From our partners:
No action is required for you to use the new pin design, and this update will only affect the ‘default’ marker that is supplied for the marker class on each platform. Custom marker implementations in your apps will not be affected.
If you prefer the existing pin design, we have made the asset available on the web, and you can continue to use it by doing the following:
- Maps SDK for Android: set a BitmapDescriptor, defined using one of the methods in the BitmapDescriptorFactory class. (link to guide)
- Maps SDK for iOS: set the marker’s icon or iconView property (link to guide)
We will be rolling out the new pin design as the default marker across all platforms starting August 22nd.
Release date by platform:
- Maps Embed API – Available the week of August 22, 2022
- Static Maps API – Available the week of August 22, 2022
- Maps SDK for Android – Available to all customers by August 22, 2022 with Google Play Services version 22.30.14
- Maps SDK for iOS – August 29, 2022 with SDK version 7.1
Share your feedback
If you experience any issues or bugs, please submit an issue through our public issues tracker.
For more information on Google Maps Platform, visit our website.
Source Google Cloud
For enquiries, product placements, sponsorships, and collaborations, connect with us at [email protected]. We'd love to hear from you!
Our humans need coffee too! Your support is highly appreciated, thank you!