Modern developers worldwide have grown accustomed to the comfort of writing code, pushing to a remote Git repository and having that code be deployed at an accessible URL without having to worry about how it is deployed. This was a workflow popularized by Heroku years ago which brought joy and productivity to developers even if it did impose some loss of flexibility for operation teams.To address that loss of flexibility when meeting security and integration requirements, Heroku introduced Private Spaces. Private Spaces provide network isolation from the internet since any application or datastore provisioned by Heroku is accessible to the internet by default.
From our partners:
- Continuously Deploy via Git push using open source Buildpacks or Dockerfiles
- Set CPU and Memory requirements for each instance
- Horizontally scalable apps that scale from zero to thousands of instances to meet traffic demands automatically
So while devs are kept happy, can Cloud Run do something for the Ops folks? Yes. Here are some things available right in the Cloud Run UI:
- Proper Secret Management with IAM based access control. No more setting secrets as environment variables.
- Traffic management between different revisions for blue-green or canary deployments.
- Define SLIs and SLOs with ease. Eg: 90% of requests have to be served under 200ms in a calendar month.
- Secure your service with tools such as Software Delivery Shield, Binary Authorization, and Cloud Armor. Definitely deserves its own blog post.
Recreating Private Spaces on Cloud Run
Let’s focus on network isolation now, let’s say you have an internet facing app and a private backend API that talks to a private database. Simplest architecture ever, it conceptually looks a bit like this:
By: Felipe Ryan (Customer Engineer, App Ecosystem)
Source: Google Cloud Blog
For enquiries, product placements, sponsorships, and collaborations, connect with us at [email protected]. We'd love to hear from you!
Our humans need coffee too! Your support is highly appreciated, thank you!